April 7, 2018 -- Member Golf Clinics
Two free one hour clinics will be held from 8:00 to 9:00 AM on May 11th and May 25th for S&H Seniors Golf League participants. The clinics will be limited to the first 25 who sign up in the golf shop.
Come into the golf shop or call (847) 885-9000 to sign up.
- Friday, May 11, 2018 - Full swing.
- Friday, May 25, 2018 - Short game with full swing.
February 13, 2018 -- League Registration
The 2018 S&H Seniors Golf League registration letter and membership application will be mailed this week to all current 2017 members. Registration for returning League members is now underway. The 2018 League registration process is as follows:
- Returning members can register at the SPD Senior Center located in the Community Recreation Center from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. They can also mail in the membership application and fee. The mailing address is: SPD Senior Center, 505 North Springinsguth Road, Schaumburg, IL, 60194. Members registering by mail are responsible for picking up a copy of the Golfer's Guide at the SPD Senior Center. All returning members are assured a 2018 membership if they register before 5 pm on Friday, March 23.
- The 2018 membership fee is $33. Payment can be made by check payable to the Schaumburg Park District, cash or credit card.
- New member registration for senior men and women ages 55 and older will begin at 9 am, Monday, March 26 at the SPD Senior Center and end when the League membership cap of 215 is met.
Therefore, if you intend to rejoin the League for the 2018 season, it is highly recommended that you not delay and register promptly prior to 5 pm Friday, March 23. If you cannot register in person and opt to mail in your membership application and fee, please be prompt in your mailing.
The SGC renovations will continue with the opening of the new Players course and the closing of the Baer course in early summer. The colors of the tees on all the courses at SGC will be changed when the Players course reopens. Members that sign up to play on any given day will be split into two approximately equal groups and will play on both 9-hole courses that are open except for the S&H Classic event which will be played on one course. Members will be rotated between the two courses every two weeks of Open Play.
The Organizational Meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 3 at 1 pm in the Heritage Room at the Community Recreation Center, 505 North Springinsguth Road, Schaumburg, IL, 60194. The Heritage Room is located in the northeast corner of the CRC building. The 2018 League changes will be addressed at the meeting and your attendance is strongly encouraged. Please bring your Golfer's Guide to the meeting.
The success of the League depends on the member volunteers that run it. If you're interested in making a good league even better and meeting new friends, think about joining the League Committee. Several volunteers are needed to help on the League Committee this year.
- Awards Banquet Committee -- This Committee needs volunteers to solicit door prizes and help the day of the Awards Banquet with member check-in and door prize distribution.
- League Documentation -- The League Committee needs volunteers to help with organizing, managing and updating League documentation. Volunteers would need Internet access as well as a working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel and Google Docs/Sheets.
If you know of any senior family, friends or neighbors interested in joining the League, have them contact the SPD Senior Center at 847-490-7026 for additional information.
See you at the meeting.Lisa Perrone
Senior Center Supervisor
Schaumburg Park District
January 14, 2018 -- Happy New Year Senior Golfers!!!
Hope everyone had a nice holiday.
Looks like winter outside but it's never too soon to start thinking about golf. This year SGC will enter the second phase of their Golf Enhancement Plan. After opening the driving range in late spring and Players Course in the early summer, the Baer Course will close. Changes for this year will be covered in the registration letter that will be mailed in late February to 2017 members and be on the website. Last year is also in the League Archive.
If you haven't noticed, you are reading this on the new website. The new website is viewable on all devices (smartphone, tablet or desktop) and screen sizes. Try it and let us know what you think at .
December 10, 2017 -- Passing of League Member
Dick Koepke, longtime League member, passed away on Friday, December 8. His dedicated leadership as League chairman was valued and appreciated.
Additional information is available in his obituary.
Our condolences to his wife Annette, family, fellow golfers and friends.
December 4, 2017 -- 2017 in ReviewLeague changes for 2017:
- In June, SGC started their three year Golf Enhancement Plan.
- The League was split and played on two courses (Baer and Tournament).
- Members were alternated every two weeks between the courses.
- To help with pace of play, the maximum strokes per hole was changed from 10 to 9, red tees moved forward on Tournament holes #1, #4 and #7 and Baer holes #1, #2 and #6 and SGC provided rangers.
- The weekly Chip-in Pot was set to $35 a week.
- The Team Net Stroke Play and Mini Classic events were replaced with two Scrambles.
I would like to thank the member volunteers who managed the budget, did the pairings, booked the tee times, ran the Special Events, did the handicaps and chip-ins, gave us a great banquet and door prizes, awarded the trophies, kept us informed over the internet and captured our moments in time. A special thanks to the Schaumburg Park District Senior Center, Schaumburg Golf Club and Walnut Greens for their continued help, support and advice.
After our October SGC meeting, Rich Wysocki and I walked the Players course with Jon Parsons. The larger front putting green and longer, wider practice range welcome golfers to the beginning of the SGC renovations. Same old course but with a brand new look. The new generation green and fairway grasses have a fluorescent green hue against the white sand bunkers. From a distance, the course looks like it's ready for play but the grasses are thin and will need some time to fill in. Greens have multiple fairway entrances and surround a good part of the green almost eliminating the long fescue grasses that were always fun getting out of. The tee boxes are rectangular with square edges. The new par-3 and par-4 holes look interesting and challenging to play. When these changes are made to the Baer and Tournament courses, it will make SGC a premier course to play. See the flyovers for the latest SGC renovations.
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Happy New Year.Ed Kelby
November 15, 2017 -- Passing of League Member
Don Peterson, a League member since 2010 and Awards/Trophy Committee volunteer, passed away. Additional information is available in his obituary.
Our condolences to his wife Irene, family, fellow golfers and friends.